Click for our COVID-19 Resources

add banner ribbon for summer

bellarmine.edu/financialaid/summeraid/

Elements that need to be universal

FORMS

SUBMIT FORMS

Glossary of Financial Aid Terms

We understand that the technicalities and jargon of Financial Aid can be tricky. Below you will find definitions of commonly used terms we hope you will find valuable.

Institutional Scholarships, Grants and Loans: Scholarships, grants or loans provided by Bellarmine University

Federal Scholarships, Grants and Loans: Scholarships, grants or loans provided by the Federal Government

State Scholarships, Grants and Loans: Scholarships, grants or loans provided by the Federal Government

put "questions" into expandable content/anchor

Frequently Asked Questions

When will I find out my scholarship amount?

Students will begin receiving scholarship award notices shortly after they are admitted to Bellarmine.

When should I apply for other financial aid?

Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at fafsa.gov as soon as possible after October 1 of your senior year in high school. List Bellarmine as a school to receive your information. Bellarmine’s school code is 001954. There will be opportunities to make adjustments if your circumstances change.

Should I participate in commercial scholarship or aid searches?

We discourage our students from participating in any search that requires a fee for an agency to find scholarships or grants. Applying for need-based aid is free, and in our experience these search agencies only tend to turn up federal sources you could locate on your own.

How do I receive the Bellarmine Scholar and the Bellarmine Fellow Award?

The Bellarmine Scholar and Bellarmine Fellow scholarships, awarded to entering first-year students, are Bellarmine’s most prestigious academic scholar-ships. The Bellarmine Scholar Award includes full tuition, fees, room and board with a study abroad stipend. The Bellarmine Fellow Award includes full tuition with a study abroad stipend. The application deadline is December 1 and an essay with the topic “Describe an incident or situation in your life which piqued your intellectual curiosity” is required. Essays are reviewed and students are invited to interview with faculty. After the interviews, five students are selected to receive each award.

Will scholarships from agencies other than Bellarmine affect my aid award?

This depends on the amount of the outside scholarships and on whether we have been able to meet your need with other aid. Please notify us when you find out you have received an outside scholarship, and we will notify you of any changes to your existing aid award by sending you a revised aid award. Outside scholarships do not replace the Expected Family Contribution. Instead, they must be counted as financial aid and deducted from the amount of aid eligibility. Bellarmine encourages students to pursue scholarships from other agencies.

Can international students apply for aid?

Only United States citizens and eligible non-citizens can file the FAFSA to apply for federal and state need-based aid. All other students, including those in the U.S. on an F1 or F2 student visa, are ineligible. Merit scholarships are available to international students through Bellarmine's Office of Admission. How much are and how can I pay for my books? The average Bellarmine student will spend $788 per year on books. If you have enough financial aid to cover tuition, mandatory fees, room and board, and books, contact the Student Accounts Office for a book voucher to use at the Bellarmine Bookstore. Otherwise, books cannot be charged to your student account. My parents’ income may be too high.

Should I still apply for aid?

We encourage all students to complete a FAFSA for their first year in college. Parental income is not the only factor that determines aid eligibility, and some people are surprised to find that they qualify for aid. Keep in mind that families who do not receive other need-based aid can still borrow a Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loan, but you must file the FAFSA first. Will my financial aid package vary year to year? You must re-apply for need-based aid each year. Assuming that your financial situation stays the same and you maintain satisfactory academic progress, your aid should stay about the same from year to year. Changes in household size, number of children in college or your parents’ income and assets can have an effect on your financial aid award. Merit scholarships are automatically renewed each year provided you maintain the requirements.

What are my payment options if I owe any money after my scholarships and financial aid?

At Bellarmine we offer several payment options to fit your need and financial situation. You can pay your bill off all at once or at the beginning of each semester. We also offer monthly plan options spreading the balance out over the course of as many as ten months and as few as five.

What is the Expected Family Contribution (EFC)?

The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is a measure of your family’s financial strength and is calculated according to a formula established by law. Your family’s taxed and untaxed income, assets and benefits (such as unemployment or Social Security) are all considered in the formula. Additional considerations include your family size and the number of family members who will attend college during the year. The information you report on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is used to calculate your EFC. Schools use the EFC to determine your federal student aid eligibility and financial aid award. Your EFC is not the amount of money your family will have to pay for college nor is it the amount of federal student aid you will receive. It is a number used by your school to calculate the amount of federal student aid you are eligible to receive.

The Bellarmine Blog

Bellarmine University educates students – mind body and spirit – for meaningful lives, rewarding careers, ethical leadership and service to improve the human condition. Read about our mission in action on our blog.

Longest-Employed Women Shed Light on Changes at Bellarmine

Mar 24, 2021, 09:36 AM by Yasemin Gechgil

Katelyn Norris 

March 12, 2021 

This Women’s History Month, we wanted to hear from the female faculty and staff who know BU and its students better than most.  I spoke to five of the longest-employed women on Bellarmine’s staff. Each has seen the changes in the classroom over the last 30 or 40 years and continues to make waves in her students' academic careers. 

Ann Jirkovsky, assistant professor of Psychology, and Joanne Dobbins, a professor in the Biology department, began their careers at BU in 1984. Patricia Selvy, associate professor in the Rubel School of Business, began at BU in Fall 1985.  Joan Riggert, Director of Planned Giving and Stewardship, started at BU in 1989 and Caren Cunningham, a professor of Art, started at Bellarmine in 1992. 

Each of these women has seen the substantial changes Bellarmine has made over the years, from the class to technology to the advance of student-centered programs. 

Jirkovsky said she has seen a surge of female faculty members over the years, especially in her own department. The Psychology department doubled from four faculty members when she arrived to its eight current members, seven of whom are women. 

“There were so few women when I arrived that there was no women’s restroom on the first floor in  Pasteur Hall. There were so few women in the Arts and Sciences when I began, it was Dr. [Margaret] Mahoney, Dr. [Joanne] Dobbins and I,” Jirkovsky said.  

Dobbins' favorite aspect of BU, and what has kept her here all these years, is the students. Every year she continues to be impressed with the students in her classroom and said Bellarmine students are among the best. 

“I found students were open to new ideas but not from the standpoint of blind allegiance. It was more of an intellectual inquiry. You know, ‘Why do you think that way? Tell me what has brought you to that point?’ and they give you reasonable explanations, not just some mantra that they had heard,” Dobbins said. 

One of the changes Selvy observed is the increasingly diverse demographics of her classroom over the years. The number of female students has increased in her classroom and today the women outnumber the men. She said she has also seen an influx of students from different states and backgrounds. 

“It's a very diverse class. It's a lot of interesting perspectives to gain from the students from different places, ethnicities and backgrounds,” Selvy said. 

While Cunningham, who teaches art, points out that she hasn’t seen nearly as many shifts in the technology of her classroom, she said her students have changed over time. 

Cunningham said she has learned to teach to the individual over the course of her teaching career. She has seen this help her students grow in their art. 

“I'm teaching art and I'm asking my students to be very personal and what they do, I want them to be personal. To me it has so much more meaning if it's relative to who they are,” Cunningham said.  “Our student body is getting more empathetic and sympathetic. They’re so good to each other.” 

One of the transformations Joan Riggert has observed is the growth of Bellarmine's planned giving group, the Heritage Society, which is composed of donors who leave gifts in their estate and create outright or provide estate gifts to endow scholarships. The Heritage Society, which Riggert began in 1990, has grown exponentially and now includes a Visionary level of giving for those who have made gifts of $1 million or more.

“I think the change that I see the most is that we are so student-centered with the donors and also talk about faculty and their programs,” Riggert said. “There are a lot of new partnership opportunities that give students opportunities to be out in the community through internships and practical experience.” 

During Jirkovsky’s tenure at BU, she said the greatest shift hasn’t been in the content she teaches but rather the medium. She recalls the transition from chalkboard to whiteboard and now to PowerPoints during her career, one that has served to elevate her teaching in her eyes. 

The Psychology Department has always strived to bring their students research oriented, experiential learning says Jirkovsky. Not much has changed in those areas of academics, but the one shift she said has shaken her teaching is the sudden switch to remote learning in 2020. 

“There's all the information we do in class and then we give you a test. For a while I was uncertain, ‘Are those kinds of tests really relevant today when students can access information so quickly?' "Jirkovsky said. “I've really moved away from quizzes to application activities. I don't know whether I'll go back to the quizzes or test when I get back into the classroom.” 

Dobbins said one of the many “game changers” in her time at Bellarmine was the switch from writing on the blackboards to overhead projectors. 

“I never saw the faces of my students because they always were writing so they had their heads down writing very good notes. I noticed that it was a kind of a game changer when all of a sudden, students were looking at me and it was kind of new to see their faces,” Dobbins said. 

She was one of the first faculty members to own a computer on campus after being awarded a grant, which caught fire not long before finals. She built her own computer and saw the internet make its way to BU in the mid-'90s. 

“We had to make a commitment and then do it. We're going to have everyone phase in with computers and so my teaching changed. And around that time, I started seeing more women in my classroom,” Dobbins said.  

However, she said the hardest part of her long career has been the COVID-19 pandemic. While Cunningham found the switch to online difficult, what impacted her the most was seeing her students struggle. 

“I just found it really frustrating to know that some of my students were hurting and I couldn’t help them,” Cunningham said. 

Cunningham said her students are the best part of her job and she said the thing she will remember most about being at BU is her students’ senior shows. Jirkovsky also said her students’ accomplishments are what she will carry with her after her time at BU. She said she wants all of her students to feel supported, and when they walk across the stage she feels accomplished, too. 

“There are some students who are going to be great. They're going to do really well, and we just want to make sure we don't mess them up," Jirkovsky said. "But then you've got the students that need the more support and encouragement. When they walk across the stage, that that's the biggest sense of accomplishment I think we get as faculty members.”